If you want to strengthen your muscles, tone your body, burn calories, and meet other men and women who want to do the same, it is time for you to hit the weight room. You do not necessarily need to go to a gym to lift weights, but gyms tend to have a much better selection of weight machines than the average Joe or Jane.
Lifting weights is not just for those guys who love to pump their muscles to the max. Guys and girls who simply want to be stronger, slim down, and sculpt their bodies just right fit right in the gym with guys that look like Rambo. Here are 5 great reasons to hit the weight room this year:
1. You will lose body fat. Lifting weights burns calories and when you burn enough calories, you begin to lose body fat. You can also lose body fat doing cardio, so combining cardio and weight training is very helpful in shedding those unwanted pounds.
2. You will gain strength. When you lift various weights, you are strengthening various muscles. You can acquire stronger arms and legs plus get that six pack stomach you have been dreaming about. If you want to bulk up, you can. If you just want to tone your body, you can. As you consistently weight train, you will certainly notice a difference in your body.
3. You will decrease stress. Exercise has been known to help individuals decrease stress levels, so as you lift weights, you are ridding your body of toxic stress that can really deplete your energy and state of mind. Chronic stress is actually a big contributor to sicknesses and disease, so be sure that you are consistent in your efforts to exercise. You will notice that as you do, you feel more relaxed and fit.
4. You will look better. If you engage in weight training and watch your diet, you will eventually notice that your body looks better. You may lose that muffin top around the waist or tone the flab that used to jiggles under your biceps. If you dedicate yourself to working out 4 or 5 times per week, you should be losing some fat and gaining some muscle, which will make you smile when you look at yourself in the mirror.
5. You will release happy chemicals. When you exercise your body releases endorphins, or what some people like to call “happy chemicals”. When you are pumping some iron in the gym, these chemicals will be flowing throughout your body and you will simply feel happier and lighter. Haven’t you ever done some sort of workout and just felt super good afterwards? If so, that’s the endorphins making you smile!
Hitting the gym to lift weights will do you good. If you do not have the time to head to the gym, you can get some dumbbells or an exercise machine and work out at home. You may even want to grab a workout buddy and get fit together. The most important step is the first one. Commit to getting into shape and strengthening your body today.